Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thai Cobb Salad

Having lunch with a fellow novelist at Fred62, a diner in Los Feliz, I had what he had, which was the Thai Cobb Salad. Whether the salad tasted good or not was irrelevant. The creative and playful name sold me on the dish. From the menu, I read aloud all the items included, spinach, shredded chicken, bacon, tomatoes, chopped egg, crushed peanuts, green papaya salad, Sum Tum, and spicy Thai dressing. Separately, I loved all the items, and I risked not knowing what Sum Tum was. The salads quickly arrived, and according to my fellow lunch friend, the square-shape of the salad was normal. Using chopsticks, I was forced to eat slowly, and I relished each delicious bite. A gamble that paid off handsomely for me. Whatever Sum Tum was and is, I loved and love it!

On top of mountain in Griffith Park yesterday, reflecting, I watched three ravens playing and performing in the sky above. While I thought "caw caw" was the only sound that ravens made, I was surprised to learn that they communicate with each other using more sophisticated sounds. In gruffer tones, similar to the croaking of bullfrogs, one of the ravens was extremely vocal, as he or she chased the other two. Once the chaser nipped the tail of the slower flying raven, the "tagged" one began chasing the other two, calling to them in soft, fancy trills.

At the suggestion of a friend, Ann and I attended a meditation and spiritual service at a center in Culver City, down near the L.A. airport. Though I have my own meditation and spiritual practice, which is a cafeteria plan with techniques and tools from many different disciplines, I chose to go. What a beautiful experience. A silent meditation followed by incredible music, dancing, and inspirational words, put a smile on my face. Skeptical of prayers in organized groups, after too many years of hearing words of condemnation and judgment, I found the affirmations of love and joy in the prayers last night especially fulfilling. Of course, after leaving the uplifting gathering, driving on the highway, and a bit lost, I turned to Ann, and inquired, "Where the hell are we, Ann?" She looked at me, much like a mother would an unruly and blasphemous son, and replied, "We just spent two hours praying." Immediately, we both began laughing, and we laughed, and we laughed. How quick we are to leave that state of peace and bliss, but how quickly we can return.

Stepping out of my comfort zone is what I've been doing the last few weeks. I'm taking a ride down an unknown road, living in the moment and not the past or the future. Without strict rules and guidelines, I'm remaining open, enjoying the new, which is sometimes a yummy Thai Cobb salad.

2 comments:

  1. How funny! I have found that some of my most hideous outbursts have been after meditation.

    ReplyDelete